Three days had passed for the fresh plaster to cure. Now it was time to get started with the painting!
On one of our little forays up to the ReStore in Marinette, we happened upon a big 5 gallon bucket of really nice all white Sherwin-Williams contractor grade paint. There was about four gallons left in the bucket. We got the entire bucket for $30, which about what it would cost for 1 gallon of good paint.
Our old front porch -
Light Bright and Airy.
I eagerly got out my paint roller, extended telescoping handle, and my favorite paint tray. I like this tray because I can take a break, and snap the lid on with the roller in place, and it keeps the paint fresh without skinning over or drying out.
Steve does not enjoy painting, to say the least. But he did go around on the ladder and do the cutting in for me ahead of my rolling. He takes a wide brush and makes sure he gets into every corner and then about the first four to five inches down each wall and across each ceiling surface.
The room transformed itself from the raw plaster over to a beautiful white solid surface with primer and two coats of paint. We will wrap the beam and cover the entryway ceiling later with tongue and groove cardsiding.
Here I am doing the very last section of the ceiling.
This was really exciting, because now we could see how our light fixtures were going to look. I had mentioned in a couple blogs back about finding these wall sconces at the local hardware store on clearance. They were in three different finishes, one was black, one was rubbed oil bronze, and one was silver. I had spray-painted them all white. Then I had found a lady on Facebook marketplace selling matching stained glass lamp shades that match the rest of the fixtures in my house.
Two sconces are on each side of the french windows facing east, and a third one near the entrance from the big garage. Here I tried aiming them up. (Finnegan on guard dog duty now that the windows in the doors are low enough for him to see out of).
Steve had figured out a way of how to mount my two articulating arm lights over the working area for my 12 foot quilting frame. He adapted them so they could be wired directly and mounted tight to the wall. I can swing them out or in any direction to use them but push them back out of the way when not in use.
We added LED flood lights to brightly illuminate the area.
With all of the light fixtures in place and operational, we can dim down the wall sconces or brighten them up as we wish. Steve has 3 switches to operate all three at one time. He placed them by the entry door, the kitchen door and in the middle of the south wall in the room.
He also got all of the wiring for the exterior lights and exterior outlet functioning as well.
Steve got the TV mounted up on the bracket and hooked up to the antenna and power line, as well as adding his soundbar. We took the bigger TV from the living room to keep as our main TV down here. We shuffled some other smaller TVs around to take it's place in the living room.
He got the TV done just in time for the Packer game that afternoon. He set up his lawn chair in front of it and made himself at home. A beer, a bowl of chips and some salsa. He was all set.
Granddaughter Claire decided to try it out
and watch some cartoons
from the comfort on top of
Grandma in the lawn chair!
I think my next blog will be about the process in which we leveled the cement floor and added the grey plank flooring.