Our Wonderful Followers who come back again and again to read about us...

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Some of the mods we made to our motorhome – O thru S

Back again.. this the fifth installment of my alphabetical listing of our mods from my photo files.  I have been sick lately and pretty much bed-ridden, so this is keeping me occupied.  LOL

OLD FUEL FILTER SYSTEM:
 diesel control panel fleetguard filter setup on cat engine
Our 3126 Cat engine has a fuel filter system that is accessible through a side bay door.  The winn 200/200 filters have been discontinued.  So instead of doing the very expensive upgrade to the new systems like other folks have been doing….  (the new filters are in the $30-40 range)    Steveio did something a little different.   He found out what filters the semi truck drivers are using for this same engine.  Fleetgard filters at about $8 each.  Cheaper if you buy em by the six pack!     We bought the *head* piece for $14 from a local truck place, and Steve made a little bracket to hold it into place.  Works great and is a cheap modification to a complex problem!

OVER THE OLD TELEPHONE OUTLET:
over telephone outletWe stuck the other part of the thermometer (the outdoor temp sensor)  first out under the front bumper.  We lost it one day and found it when walking through the campground.. .all mushed.  So we bought another one and put it out in the fridge access compartment stuck into place with velcro!

OVEN:
This is my favorite mod that directly affects me and my baking.  I know that I have mentioned it before in previous blogs, but we don’t have an LP oven in our rig.  Short of sacrificing 3 of my big kitchen drawers to install one, and cutting our Corian countertop.
We are usually boondocking or camping without hookups in the National Forest Campgrounds.   If we want to bake something in the micro/convection oven, we have to fire up the generator to do so.  Not nice in the early morning hours for muffins, or droning hours on end for lasagna, stews, or roasts….  even brownies take a long time to bake.  So we found this:
 woodsies easy bake oven
(technically it’s called the Coleman Instastart Oven, and runs about $80-90)
Steveio nicknamed it my Easy Bake Oven!   How cute is that?
Got it from Camping World.  We stow it in a basement compartment when not in use.  It’s great to keep the heat outta the rig if you want to bake some dinner rolls on a hot day, and also nice for toast for the whole crew at once for breakfast.   Bakes an 11x13 pan nicely.


OXYGENICS SHOWER HEAD:
oxygenics shower head Now this mod is DEFINITELY  a MUST DO!   We replaced the original shower head with this white Oxygenics one.   Got it from CampingWorld on sale for about $25. They also have them in silver and bronze, neither which would match a gold tone like our bathroom.  So white it was.   I LOVE LOVE LOVE  this thing and we are going to buy some for in the house now too.  You use less water, but its a frothy foamy spray that rinses my long hair well, and sprays wide that you get your whole body wet, instead of single small spray …..

The hose and bracket are from my original shower, but on the Oxygenics there is a small knurled section that does turn it *almost* off.  I guess folks who buy them in California don't even get the shut-off in their packages, something about a plumbing code I have read. 

When opening the big blister pack the Oxygenics comes in, the shut off knurled section is hidden way in the back, it does not come pre-assembled on the wand handle.  Steveio threw away the package without reading any instructions, of course!   So imagine my dismay when I tried it and there was no shut-off.   Soooo I rescued the package from the trash and found the little shutoff section!   Works great. 

I guess the folks in California have gone to Home Depot and found a shutoff that works too and adds them to their Oxygenics.



PARTY GRILL: 
 party grill This is such a nice little propane grill.  We have a larger Road Trip grill too, but this one is just perfect for when there are only the two of us.  The legs come off and it stores in a cute vinyl bag.  There is a *drip tray* underneath that you fill with water while grilling for catching the grease.  Washes up really fast.  Only drawback is that there is no lid for putting over the top of the food while cooking.  Ya know, to enclose it and keep the heat in?   There is a big plastic lid that snaps over the whole thing after it’s cool .  I found that if I invert that lid on the picnic table and fill with soapy water, the cooking grid sets right in it to soak off baked on food, till it’s time to do dishes.  Nifty!  It was about $30 at Gander Mountain, but I have seen them at Walmart too.


PASSENGER SEAT STEP STOOL:
passenger seat footstool
He is such a good project-making guy!   I also use this stool for reaching the top shelves in the cabinets, or reaching way up in the front video compartments.  And if I am weaving, I sometimes set my coffee mug on this little stool as a side table!   It’s great to have items that are multi-use in the small space of an RV.


PUCK LIGHT REPLACEMENT:
Some people may think we are crazy to take OUT these modern looking puck lights and replace them all with the cheapie looking fake brass gold swivel lights that are all too common in RV’s today. 
But……..   these puck lights would get VERY hot, the plastic rim pieces  would let loose and the hot glass lens would fall down into your lap!   One time a lens fell down and burned the leg of a little girl visitor to our rig.  That was it, OUT they went!  puck light replacements
I found these little aim-able brass lights on ebay for about $3 or 4 each.  We bought enough to replace all the puck lights in our entire rig. led light replacement1
One by one we are going to replace each bulb too with the new LED bulb devices, something we would not be able to do with the halogen puck lights.   






SCOOTER RACK:
 scooter rack We take our Honda Helix scooter all over on the back of our motrohome.  It rides 2 up, gets 70mpg and can reach speeds of 70 mph,  which of course we don’t go.  LOL  
The rack is removable, and mounts into two hitch receivers for stability.  The little ramp sets into place, and he can roll the scooter down easily.  To put it back on, he has the engine running and squeezed the throttle to walk it right back up the ramp.  It’s locked into place with two padlocks and two straps on the tires.
scooter rack on motorhome (5)  scooter rack on motorhome (1) scooter rack on motorhome (2)

SCREEN DOOR LATCH:
This is another *favorite* of mine… probably because I thunk it up, bought the pieces when we were in Florida, and it worked out JUST as planned!  LOL
screen door latch Sometimes we like to lay down and rest in the middle of the day, and just flipping this little wing tab around to the frame makes it less likely our doggers would pop the door open with their naughty noses if they saw something outside they could not resist… (squirrel, chipmunk,  some cute doggie, or a grandma bringing over treats)   By the time we could get up, they would be halfway across the campground!  

Ok.. that is enough for tonight… we will continue with the S’ … there are some special things that the photo file names all start with Steveio’s  this.. or that….

4 comments:

  1. Hope you're feeling better, Karen! Sorry to hear you've been sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I saw a shut-off tap on that Oxygenics shower head and it is up top where it is easy to reach - that's a great idea. Is it part of the shower head assembly or something extra?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good observation Rick. The hose and bracket are from my original shower, but on the Oxygenics there is a small knurled section that does turn it *almost* off. I guess folks who buy them in California don't even get the shut-off in their packages, something about a plumbing code I have read.

    When opening the big blister pack the Oxygenics comes in, the shut off knurled section is hidden way in the back, not assembled on the wand handle. Steveio threw away the package without reading any instructions, of course! So imagine my dismay when I tried it and there was no shut-off. Soooo I rescued the package from the trash and found the shutoff section! Works great.

    I guess the folks in California have gone to Home Depot and found a shutoff that works too and adds them to their Oxygenics.

    (I think I will edit my blog and put this information in there too)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sandra... nothing that a pile of pills and upcoming surgery won't take care of. LOL No camping for me I guess for a while. ACK

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I moderate all comments so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.