Well, in the grand scheme of things I guess it wasn't so funny after all.
We started out bright and early this morning to work on our stove installation in the motorhome--- that I wrote about in my last blog.
We gathered tools and supplies and ideas and headed out to the motorhome. It was pretty warm out so we decided we would plug into shore power and fire up the air conditioner.
That's when everything went haywire. Not the air conditioning. Nooooo We didn't even get that far to turn it on. It was the entire power for half of the things in the rig that run through our inverter. Lights and a fan and the tv I turned on. Because we plugged into shore power, it should bypass through it and run to all the fixtures and outlets and lights that operate on that leg of our motorhome.
We turned things on and noticed our lights were dimming down and browning out. That's not a good sign. Our power management system, a hard-wired Progressive Industries EMS kicked us out every time. Just like it is supposed to. Here is my blog post about when we installed it:
First of course we checked the normal things like the shore power coming from the cord, we checked the transfer switch, we checked all of the GFCI outlets.
We decided to unplug from shore power and just ran the generator and see what happened then. Same thing. Brown out and kick off by any thing running through the inverter was not holding up to snuff. Any type of a draw and the Progressive Industries EMS would kick it out.
I am happy to say at least our Progressive Industries EMS power management system was doing the correct thing by kicking out and not letting us harm our electronics.
So now we concentrated on the inverter. We checked the two circuit breakers on the inverter. Yes, I know the upper left white input button is broke, it has been broken off for a long time but still operates.
We checked all of the breakers in the power panel box.
We plugged back in --- oh NO!
NOW things everything was running over bright and and buzzing and ready to burn out! It was like a power surge within our rig from the inverter! The last reading we got off the kilowatt device was 180+ volts! We shut it down and decided that was enough of that!!!
This is a Kilowatt device that helps monitor power output at outlets.
I know the screen is blank, we shut down too quick
for me to take a pic of 180+ watt reading...
With all of our testing throughout the complete line of power from our house to the power cord to supply to transfer switch, we realized our inverter was not operating properly.
Everything was fine up to it and everything was fine beyond it --- so the bad link was the Xantrax Freedom20D 2000 watt inverter itself. ACKKK! Those run about $1,000-2,000 to replace with a similar size.
Steve carefully removed the inverter cover. Inside it was brown all around the top of the main section and curled back plastic surface like it had overheated... DANG!
I think we narrowly avoided
a big dangerous fire situation!!!
Steve removed the entire inverter and temporarily reconnected the AC lines together and capped off the DC hot line. Both Steve's Fluke meter and the kilowatt device are measuring the correct power. Whew! Now it is safe until we get a new inverter this week.
I am just so thankful we avoided a fire!!!