He has figured the transmission and trans axle are okay, just the engine has blown a bearing. It was like we were trying to "pull start" our manual shifting car for about a mile or so and that did the job on it. So here is our Tracker with it's broken little heart.....
Also, in hindsight (which is ALWAYS 20/20!) we know we both checked the shift lever configuration set up before we left, and it was exactly as the owner's manual states, the gear in 2nd and the transaxle in N. But thinking back to the three big speedbumps at the park as we exited, the second one is a doozy.... even Merikay and Craig commented on it being a big one. Well, perhaps that big BUMP over it was enough to push the transaxle shift into gear and cause the trouble. We said we heard a big THUD.... hmmmmm oh well, we know we ruined it and we know we have to fix it. Sigh.
Back to the motorhome repair.. that is more important at this date and time!
Our rusted leaking brake line was temporarily patched by Steve yesterday to get us down here to: Emergency Truck Repair in Caballo Lake, NM. It's a one man business by the name of Harold, who has a LOT of the local business going in and out of here. We were so lucky he was able to make us up a new brake line. Plus, he is also a native Michigander guy!!!!
He has a hurt shoulder and can't do the installation work himself, but he can at least fabricate the part for us. See, the problem is that the brake lines are a flexible type, 36 inches long, and need to be specially fabricated brake lines for a long-defunct chassis company on our 19 year old motorhome! (Magnum chassis manufactured by Safari when it was out in Oregon) And he did it! Great guy!!!!
Here is a pic of the extra one for the passenger side:
We got the new brake line fabricated from Harold this morning, and Steve set to removing the old rusted fittings from the old line and installing the new line in it's place.
In the meantime, Harold had to lock up shop and leave for a doc appt. We were out in the parking lot working on it with our front end up on blocks and the front hydraulic leveler for added stability. Steve used all his own tools too, so Harold could lock up his shop and go.
So once we were done testing the new line, we didn't know how much to pay.. or WHO to pay because there wasn't anyone around!
Harold thought he would only be gone 1 or 2 hours. He said that when he came back he would make up a duplicate line for our passenger side for Steve to change out later on. It was 5:30 before Harold got back to the shop.
There.. Harold is back, the new line is in, the duplicate line is made and we are good to go for under $100.00 WHEEEEEE Thank you Travel Gods for putting Steve in the right spot to meet with the right guy who can make up these special brake lines!!!!
He and Steve confabulated a while over the Tracker Situation... and he came up with some alternatives to check first before tossing in the towel on it. So we will see..... as for now, it will be towed home to Wisconsin.
Plus, Harold said since it's dark now, we can spend another night in his lot if we want. There is a good western on tv and I just finished making supper. We leave in the morning for Deming, NM.
Another day in the adventure of our vacation!