Our Wonderful Followers who come back again and again to read about us...

Friday, January 17, 2020

Getting Ready to Get Snowed In for the Weekend?

Sadly, we had a tragedy today in Oconto. At 3 a.m. this morning there was a house fire on the other side of town. A mother, three children and a pet perished in the fire. It is heartbreaking. The poor firemen battled the blaze in the sub zero weather and are still on site today yet. We don't know the family personally, but the next of kin are in our prayers.

~~~~~~~~

The weathermen have now upped the forecast and we are due for 8 to 12 inches of snow on top of some sleety freezing icy mess. Doesn't sound like it's going to be very much fun?

We don't have to be anywhere this weekend, so we will stay home, snug as bugs in a rug.  They already spread brine on our county highway road in front of our house. It's one of the main drags out of town to the north, so the trucks have been spreading in readiness for the icy storm.

~~~~~~~~

I got two coats of paint on the mantle and it sure is looking nice. I had two dogs that were supervising from the comfort of the couch behind me.  I enjoy painting and it was peaceful and nice this morning to get the first coat on.



I decided the difference in the original color of brown was like melted milk chocolate chips ... the contrast of the new color which is more like melted semi-sweet chocolate chips! Lol!



I am thinking maybe 
I better bake some cookies
 while this thought is in my brain?



The new brown color matches the leather on our two mission recliners and I think it looks much nicer.



It also matches the faux-leather brown of the couch. I think it even matches the dogs, too! By afternoon I did the second coat, and then we took a nap.



My sweet friend Juanita loves the color brown, as do I.  We are both October Sisters and this lovely rich brown is just right up our alley.


The little handle that I found at the ReStore for the firewood cubby door sure looks cute. The new paint was dry, so Steve attached it this morning.  Now it balances off the little black matchstick holder and the black frame around the leaded glass fireplace screen.


Someday in the future, we will convert the woodburning fireplace over to a natural gas one. We enjoy the warmth from the one we put in down in the She Shed. Having one in the livingroom will be great, especially in a power outage.  We will be sure to select one that can operate even if the power is out.

Once the second coat of paint on the mantle is dry, I can put back my little tulip accent lights and my few little knicky-knackies and doodads.

Maybe a third coat is needed? 

~~~~~~~~

The dogs were pretty happy to supervise the separation of their dog food into smaller containers. We ordered from Chewy and it was a better deal to get the big 47 lb bag with the free shipping, and the $15 off coupon. We don't have anywhere to store a bag of dog food that big!  We save these large plastic containers from pretzels and reuse them over and over. It will probably take the dogs 4 months or more to eat up this much dog food! They have tiny tummies and only eat about half a cup of day.



We store them up on the top shelf in the laundry room and just take down one container at a time. I think it helps keep it fresh?


~~~~~~~


The other day, Steve and I stopped at the courthouse and city hall. We started digging into the history of this house. One part has been here since the early 1900's, the other part is also an older home that was moved here around 1960 on two big metal I-beams.  That half was put onto a new foundation and joined together with the original structure on the old foundation. Two small houses became one interesting National Folk Farm House style home. We are looking to find out more as we go along. Trying to find interesting things...  we will let you know what we find!

~~~~~~~

Supper just came off the grill-

Salmon and baked sweet potato for me
Salmon and baked potatoes for Steve
and some steamed veggies for both. 
Yummmmm  Gotta go eat! 


4 comments:

  1. Hi Karen. Terrible news about the family that perished in the fire.

    I just bought a 1999 Serengeti and remembered you have one. Maybe you could give me your incite on this beautiful motorhome. Or decorating ideas. Hope to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. The community is very sad and in shock.

      If you go to the web page version of my blog, there are a lot of links alongside and also a search box to look at some of the modifications we made. I'm thinking I might start blogging from A to Z again about all of our modifications for something to read about this winter. We aren't traveling this winter so the blog is kind of empty.

      Delete
    2. Doug... We went back on your blog and looked at your pics. Looks great! You can email me at pfundt@gmail.com to ask Steve questions or get pics or details on various things you want to do. Congrats!!!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I moderate all comments so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.