I guess Steve isn't the only one that can find a bargain on Facebook Marketplace. The other day, I just happened to be glancing through a few of the posts and this one popped up in front of my eyes. It sure was an interesting hunk of cabinetry, and the asking price was right. $100.
That bookcase really didn't need to stay in the kitchen at all. Toot sweet, we had it apart and moved into the living room on the wall between the two bedroom doors. It looks much nicer there and was more appropriate to the living room furniture.
We contacted the seller and arranged the time to go down and look at the cabinet with our trailer in tow behind the Saturn.
It was exactly what we wanted. It was scarred up and dinged up and it showed it's years of wear. It was just a garage cabinet in a newer house. They didn't know where it came from. So there was no history involved with it. One of the latches was missing and a piece of the corner trim had been knocked off. So she dropped the price to $80. Score! It came home with us.
I love a project like this. I knew I was going to be painting it and Steve would be dressing it up with some beadboard panels. Some purists may be shocked and offended that I was going to paint it. But it was only a pine cabinet it was not beautiful old oak or rich walnut or anything of stellar antique value. It needed to be loved and used, instead of sitting out in a garage. That's what I plan to do with this facelift.
I began with the cabinet doors, sanding them down so the paint would adhere, and filling in the worst of the gouges and nicks and holes with wood putty.
After dinner this evening, Steve assembled the handles on to the cabinet doors. With careful measuring he made sure the handles were level and even.
We got them mounted into place with a little bit of struggling. But the cabinet is now finished!
Steve is going to make some new shelves for inside and I am picking up some extra pieces of pretty lacy shelf liner like I have in the rest of the cabinets, if I can find it again!
While I had my paintbrush out, I took care of painting up this panel of my ironing and cutting bar in my sewing area of the she shed. We had reversed this bar around in the opposite direction when we did our big She Shed re-arrangement last week. The old screw holes and bracket marks were still on the surface of panel. Steve had filled them in and sanded them down for me.
Speaking of projects, my big old Finlander Barn loom (the Sanna Kangas Loom) is up and running. I wove off two more rugs this week. They are both for sale in my Etsy shop: https://kareninthewoods.etsy.com/