Our Wonderful Followers who come back again and again to read about us...

Sunday, January 17, 2021

R.I.P. Our Sweet Finnegan

It is with the deepest sorrow that we said goodbye to our Finnegan yesterday.  The cancer had taken a turn for the worse, and we didn't want to let him suffer.  

He attained the honor of "Good Dog", that all dogs aspire to be.

RIP Finney.  

July 24, 2013 - Jan 16, 2021.


Finnegan passed away peacefully in my arms, overlooking his beloved Big Backyard from the ottoman while Steve prepared his final resting place. Steve had previously dug the hole in the fall, before the ground froze, and had a supply of soft unfrozen dirt waiting in the garage.  Steve had also prepared a little wooden box, embellished with the words "Good Dog" and his name on the lid.  He was buried with his favorite toys, as well as the container of ashes from our first sheltie, Akasha, who passed away 17 years ago, and now will reside with him.

Our little Binney dignified the ceremony by wearing Finnegan's collar to the graveside, where it was transferred to the little garden statue sheltie, joining with the collars of our passed doggies Duke and Ducky. 



~~~~~~~

Of course, Binney is taking it hard. She is most likey his aunt, as best we can figure from the hoarder's mixmux of records before all of the shelties were rescued from her hell-hole of a place.  Finnegan had been born from Binney's sister, Daisy, after all the dogs were rescued.  He had a normal puppyhood, while she did not. She has been with us for the last 6 years, and they were truly bonded.  He helped her become a "normal dog" and become more confident and self-assured over the years. He was her Mentor. 



She sat gazing out in the backyard yesterday at dusk...  and I am sure she was mourning for him.  This breaks my heart. Also, she keeps an eye out for deer, or the "big brown doggies" that come at night for scrounging around on the ground under the bird feeders.  She sat there, alone, despondent, and waiting for the deer. Ever  hopeful. 



From Heaven, I am SURE that Finnegan sent some deer, to entertain her and cheer her up! The deer NEVER come this early in the evening, they usually appear after 8 or 9 p.m.  
OH JOY OH JOY
BARK BARK BARK BARK!!!!


Here they came, a few at a time,
 to wander in just to entertain Binney. 



She was ecstatic and delighted! 
Dashing between the big ottoman
and the little ones, 
barking furiously and 
happily wagging her tail. 
Racing from window to window,
letting them know she was on guard! 



Really, the deer just look at her in the house, barking away, and then go right back to licking up any stray seeds or pieces of suet.  They really don't scare easily. 


She was just soooo happily barking her fool head off,
and completely enjoying herself.  
We let her go nuts, 
because we know they will only be here for a few minutes...


And then, right before they all started to gather to leave, one deer went over to the new grave, (protected by a board and rocks until the ground freezes again) and leaned it's head down. It was as if to say:  "Okay Boss Finnegan, did we do a good job?" 

And off they went. 

~~~~~~~~~


Before the cancer took it's toll on little Finnegan, three days ago, on Wednesday, we did have one wonderful afternoon of sunshine and a last walk around the block, ending in the Big Backyard. 



Finnegan tired quickly, and had to be carried the rest of the way.  Notice all of the deer tracks through the snow, it's a virtual playground for those Big Brown Doggies.



Oh my handsome boy...



By the look on his face,
 he didn't appreciate being carried.



A couple video clips of his final days.... 







Forever Buddies



A package arrived in the mail on Friday, the night before Finnegan passed. We were flabbergasted and shedding tears of greatfulness at fellow Sheltie Rescuer Adopter Kevin Kalhagen's talent and thoughtfulness. He kindly caught their expressions and the bond between them. Forever preserved.  It will get matted and framed soon.  Thank you Kevin and Trish! 


This may have been a sad blog to read. I'm sorry about that. But it was important for me to write it. Sometimes things like this are cathartic. 

All I know is that when dogs are sent here to Earth, they work really hard to attain the title of "Good Dog". Once they achieve that honor of being a "Good Dog", their time is no longer needed here. Their goal is reached. They go back to Heaven and help to get ready all those new little puppies soon-to-be-born---- to teach them also to become "Good Dogs". 


19 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss of little Finnegan. Pets are family & it's hard to lose them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finnegan code a wonderful home. And as closely bonded to you, where he is waiting in heaven to meet you again. Binney will hold down the fort. And I remember Dukie Palookie too ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss. I have enjoyed seeing him on the blog. Loss my Maltese last year and was so heart broken, they are our children. Prayers for you both. Cheryl (NC)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing your blog was cathartic for you just as those big brown doggies are for Binney. I didn't know Binney was Finnegan's aunt. Binney looked so sad but the deer perked her up. Hope your memories of Finnegan help you and Steve through this. He had a good life with you all.
    June, WSR adopter

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are sorry to read about your loss of little Finnegan. We had been cheering for a miracle.
    Be Safe!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for the loss of your handsome boy. I thought your post was beautifully written and a wonderful tribute to your Finnegan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Finnigan- you brought so much joy and love to your family and will be missed by all. I am so sorry and my heart aches for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finnegan was a lucky dog to have had you two in her family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My condolences on Finnegan's passing. We know as paw parents that our pets will likely go before us, but it still doesn't make it easy to say goodbye. May your sweet memories bring you solace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a lovely tribute to a Good Dog. My heart goes out to you three.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure that Finnegan was a 'Good Dog' mostly because of your love and support.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry Finnegan lost his battle. Sorry for you and Steve's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My heart breaks for you, as I know the deep pain of losing a beloved pet. You gave him a wonderful life, and hopefully, you will find a new companion for Binney if that is in your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so very sorry for your loss. I too am going thru the pain of soon losing my Dear Little Teddy. My little one has Liver Failure and is in his last days, we are trying hard to make every day a special day for him. They leave us in body but stay with us in their Spirit and in our memories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry for the grief you and Steve must be feeling. I hope you get some comfort having Finnegan pass on at home in your arms instead of having to have to go to the vet. When I had to let Maggie go, taking that ride to the doggie Dr. was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. I carried her in her bed and laid on the floor holding her as she crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. It still tears me up and I don’t think I can go through it again so I’m afraid to adopt another.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, so sorry to read this Karen--my heart hurts for you guys.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I moderate all comments so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.