Our Wonderful Followers who come back again and again to read about us...

Friday, July 16, 2021

Beadboard Cabinet Pantry Space

 

I guess Steve isn't the only one that can find a bargain on Facebook Marketplace. The other day, I just happened to be glancing through a few of the posts and this one popped up in front of my eyes. It sure was an interesting hunk of cabinetry, and the asking price was right. $100. 



It had beadboard interior, but the outside was pretty rough and rugged looking. 




Ahhh look at all of that storage room!  I could easily see a use for this at our house. 




I felt I was in need of a few more cabinets worth of storage and pantry space. We did reduce the original full-size pantry down to just an open pantry bookshelf type unit to make more room in the she shed.

I could use a bit more kitchen storage, especially since I just got a new taller mixmaster and it doesn't fit in any of my cabinets. It's been regulated to the laundry room cabinets, but I would prefer to have it in the kitchen. My biggest crock pot doesn't fit since I got the electric pressure cooker. I really want the option of having both. Sometimes, if we stock up on a good sale of canned or dry goods, the overflow ends up in bins down on the bottom of the open pantry.  This just seems to fit the bill?

I figured I could dress this old cabinet up.  A while back we dressed up the rest of the cabinets in our kitchen with a fresh coat of paint and some panels of beadboard in strategic places as well as a beadboard backsplash. 



We do have a long open wall in our kitchen opposite of the island and cabinet area. Currently we have a set of barrister bookcases that are full of knick knacks and memorabilia.




That bookcase really didn't need to stay in the kitchen at all. Toot sweet, we had it apart and moved into the living room on the wall between the two bedroom doors. It looks much nicer there and was more appropriate to the living room furniture.



We contacted the seller and arranged the time to go down and look at the cabinet with our trailer in tow behind the Saturn. 

It was exactly what we wanted. It was scarred up and dinged up and it showed it's years of wear. It was just a garage cabinet in a newer house. They didn't know where it came from. So there was no history involved with it. One of the latches was missing and a piece of the corner trim had been knocked off. So she dropped the price to $80. Score! It came home with us.

I love a project like this. I knew I was going to be painting it and Steve would be dressing it up with some beadboard panels. Some purists may be shocked and offended that I was going to paint it. But it was only a pine cabinet it was not beautiful old oak or rich walnut or anything of stellar antique value. It needed to be loved and used, instead of sitting out in a garage. That's what I plan to do with this facelift.

I began with the cabinet doors, sanding them down so the paint would adhere, and filling in the worst of the gouges and nicks and holes with wood putty. 



I gave the front face of the cabinet a new look with it's first coat of primer. By filling in all of the holes and gouges made it really appear to be a pretty nice cabinet after all.



It was a beautiful day, so I was working on the cabinet doors outside, with the soft breezes blowing. Soon the putty was dry and I could sand everything down.



The first coat of paint went on well after the primer dried. I didn't need to paint the center panels of the doors because that's where we would be affixing new pieces of beadboard paneling. I also didn't want the paint around the edges of the doors, just the front surface.  Otherwise new paint would make it sticky to open and shut because they were recessed doors and not front face cabinets. 



I kind of took over some space in Steve's garage to work on this project. But then once the doors would be ready, he gets to take over to do the next step.



We had some big panels of beadboard material that he was able to carefully measure and cut. He had to make sure each panel would be centered with the stripes and match the door pieces above and below it. Using a little bit of math, and a little bit of skill, he was quickly able to make up 10 new panels for me.



Each side of the tall cabinet was going to be dressed up with beadboard as well. We did that same technique to the side panels on the original kitchen cabinets, as well as the sides of the island.



Our son-in-law Waylen stopped by, and was just in time to help carry in the big unit to the kitchen. I think Steve and I could have managed it ourselves, after all, we did load it onto the trailer, and then off the trailer into the garage by just ourselves. Having our son-in-law here though with his extra brawn made it an easy project for me. All I had to do was hold the door open. Thank you Waylen!



Once the unit was in the house, Steve attached the beadboard panels to each side of the cabinet. He used construction adhesive and small tiny finishing nails with the airnailer to hold each panel into place.



He also attached the extra piece of trim that had come loose. I'm glad that she still had it laying on top of the cabinet. It would be really hard to match something that old. Otherwise he would have had to take off all the top trim and put on something new.



He also nailed on some L shaped trim along the rough edges of the beadboard sides to hide that and blend it all together. I gave it a final coat of paint now that it was in the kitchen and on the wall where it belongs. I think that it really made a transformation by adding the beadboard panels to the sides.  He trimmed up around the extended lip edge too. Nice and neat.



Out in the garage, I rolled a layer of contact cement on the back of each of the beadboard panels, as well as on the center of each of the recessed panels of the doors. It doesn't take long for this contact cement to dry. 



Steve carefully lined up each panel and dropped it into place. Then he caulked around the edges of each one so it would join up with the recessed ridge around each area. There you go, it looks like they were made this way. It's the same thing we did to the island in the kitchen. It really dresses up the plain jane doors.

I just gave them all a fresh coat of paint. The last step is for Steve to attach the matching handles. 

Luckily, we were able to grab four more handles from the store that match the rest of our cabinets. They've been discontinued and are being clearanced out. We also grabbed two more handles to keep for the future. You never know, just in case. If they get marked down any lower I might grab a couple more?


After dinner this evening, Steve assembled the handles on to the cabinet doors. With careful measuring he made sure the handles were level and even.


We got them mounted into place with a little bit of struggling. But the cabinet is now finished!


Steve is going to make some new shelves for inside and I am picking up some extra pieces of pretty lacy shelf liner like I have in the rest of the cabinets, if I can find it again!


Once the new shelves and shelf liner is in place, then I can start arranging and figuring out what needs to go in here. I have about 10 choices already of things and I think it will fit.



ON EDIT : this morning I finished loading it up and arranging all of the things that needed to go in the pantry cabinet. They sure made organization a lot better in the rest of our kitchen cabinets as well as where we had overflow things crammed in the laundry room cabinets.



~~~~~~~~

While I had my paintbrush out, I took care of painting up this panel of my ironing and cutting bar in my sewing area of the she shed. We had reversed this bar around in the opposite direction when we did our big She Shed re-arrangement last week. The old screw holes and bracket marks were still on the surface of panel. Steve had filled them in and sanded them down for me.



One quick coat of paint and it was dressed right back up again. This is the main entryway into the she shed and I wanted it to look nice.  He put the base trim on the bottom and we were done! 



Another little thing that we obtained while we were picking up the cabinet was four big pieces of pegboard panels. The gal had them out in the trash pile ready for pickup. They were perfectly good and in unpainted original condition. I used to have a full wall of pegboard in the garage in Chilton and I really liked arranging all of my gardening tools on it. So we plopped all four pieces flat on the trailer before we had even loaded up the cabinet.

Now it was time to get organzied.  Steve pulled everything away from the wall and screwed three of the panels into place.



Now it was my time to organize and let my OCD take over to arrange everything in order of what gets used, how often, excetera and how to space it out. It sure came out pretty nice.



Steve hung the 4th piece of pegboard over in his tool workshop area of the garage. From there, he was able to hang and arrange all of his tools in his preferred manner. So four pieces of discarded pegboard helped us organize our garage and make it easier and more accessible for grabbing something when we are working on a project.  And it kept them out of the landfill. 


Speaking of projects, my big old Finlander Barn loom (the Sanna Kangas Loom) is up and running. I wove off two more rugs this week.  They are both for sale in my Etsy shop:  https://kareninthewoods.etsy.com/


I also got a whole packet of information in the mail about Sanna Kangus, the original owner of the loom. I will do a complete blog post about that in a little bit. But for now, I am sure she is happily smiling down from heaven, knowing that her beloved rug loom is being used once again.



3 comments:

  1. You and Steve are very skilled! If you wanted to, I'm sure you could start a business refinishing furniture. The cabinet is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lucky purchase and a great refurbishment between the two of you. OCD or not, I love an organized space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great find! and it looks and works well in that space. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I moderate all comments so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.