Our Wonderful Followers who come back again and again to read about us...

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Yes, we are the Happy Wanderers

We took a long walk today along the hiking trails in the park.  It was one of those drop dead gorgeous fall days!   The blue sky, the crisp air, the rustling leaves... wearing wool socks, sweaters and long pants.  It was soooo nice.  We heard a group of boyscouts up ahead on the trail, and the troop leader was teaching this song.  I remember it well from my 4H days back in Cedarburg, Wisconsin.  I kept singing this song all day, and it just seemed to fit...... 


I love to go a-wandering, 
Along the mountain track, 
And as I go, I love to sing, 
My knapsack on my back.


Val-deri,Val-dera,
Val-deri,
Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha 
Val-deri,Val-dera. 
My knapsack on my back.






I love to wander by the stream 

That dances in the sun, 
So joyously it calls to me, 
"Come! Join my happy song!"




Val-deri,Val-dera,
Val-deri,
Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha 
Val-deri,Val-dera. 
My knapsack on my back.





I wave my hat to all I meet, 

And they wave back to me, 
And blackbirds call so loud and sweet 
From ev'ry green wood tree.




 Val-deri,Val-dera,
Val-deri,
Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha 
Val-deri,Val-dera. 
My knapsack on my back.



High overhead, the skylarks wing, 
They never rest at home 
But just like me, they love to sing, 
As o'er the world we roam.



Val-deri,Val-dera,
Val-deri,
Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha 
Val-deri,Val-dera. 
My knapsack on my back.



Oh, may I go a-wandering 
Until the day I die! 
Oh, may I always laugh and sing, 
Beneath God's clear blue sky!



Val-deri,Val-dera,
Val-deri,
Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha 
Val-deri,Val-dera. 
My knapsack on my back.










--

15 comments:


  1. Great pictures and a great song I remember singing that in elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that song too. It was a Val-deri kind of day here too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew (or perhaps never thought I'd need to know?) that there were so many verses.
    I think though, I'd have to invoke the "no singing on the trail" rule. Too disruptive to the tranquillity.
    Am I being too much of a curmudgeon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This week as we hiked in Yosemite I kept singing (in my head) "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's down the trail we go ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures. Also I loved that song when I was young. Now you've given me an ear worm that wont leave lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That brought back lots of memories of my girl scout days...Thanks for sharing..Lovely photos, too. I'm LOVIN' this fall weather! One of the reasons I make Eldy stay in Elkhart for a month, so I can get my fall leaf and cool temperatures fix! Would love to spend fall out east in New England, but this is where his family is, so it works for now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great day, great hike, great pictures and great song. Brought back memories of Girl Scouts, I still sing/hum that song but I had forgotten about half of the verses, thanks, I needed them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a boy scout and had never heard this song. But, you have me singing it anyway. I am using some Irish melody. My wife keeps looking at me like I'm crazy. Hmmm? Could be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gee thanks....used to sing that as a kid, now its bouncing around inside my hear !
    Pls never give the words to a small small world or I'll never get any sleep :-)
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that song. Our family used to sing it when we hiked.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sang your whole blog... I never knew all the verses until now. And I must say, your photography is amazing!!!!!!!

    Blessings & Shalom,
    Richard, iona and a cranky old cat named Jasper
    Full timing RVers in a 40 ft. '95 Ivory Ed 300 Cummins DP pulling little green toad (2012 Ford Fiesta)

    http://wildgooservers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Howdy Karen & Steveio,
    Where were the pups, Karen?? Is this Steve's park or are y'all still camping out?? Beautiful scenery
    and great pic of your BOY SCOUT!!! Just keep on enjoying life and we'll be enjoying along with you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I moderate all comments so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.