Our Wonderful Followers who come back again and again to read about us...

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Campground Review – North Bay Shore County Park, Oconto County (part I )

 

(this is one of series of posts of various campgrounds we have been to over the years... I am going through my files in alphabetical order and posting past camping trips in my blog.... something to do over this long long winter---- sigh)

 

This was back in May of 2009----

Ahhhh  my Steveio abandoned me for 14 days to go on an Alaskan Cruise with his dad and brothers.   What is a Camping Girl to do all alone for 2 weeks?   Well, I tossed a bunch of my fiber toys into the motorhome, called the dogs to hop on in, and I took off by myself to go camping!   

The park I chose was not too far away, along the shoreline of the waters of the Green Bay where it joins into Lake Michigan.  

North Bayshore County Park

The park is a small one, and only 2 other campers were there.   Our favorite site is #16 as it’s far on the end of a loop and we can face out to the water with the motorhome.  The caretaker when I registered said it was just fine to do that. 

north bay shore map

One man from a fifth wheel jumped up out of his lawn chair…. and frantically rushed over as I pulled in the loop backwards, to alert me to the fact that I WAS driving in the wrong way.   I told him I knew that, but to access the site from the correct direction, I had to drive around the loop backwards.   I smiled and said I had *permission* from the caretaker when I registered.  Like I said, the campground was just about deserted and only 2 campers in the whole place.   I drove around and pulled into our favorite site, and started to get all set up. 

This self-appointed host gent decided that I was a “Little Lady” who needed his help and expertise to get all set up.   I went about my business, and he kept trying to insist that he would do my hookups, my electrical connection, my levelers etc.   Finally I told him I put over 70,000 miles on my old rig by myself, and probably another 150,000 on with husband after we married, so I was quite capable of handling this myself, thank you.    (later his wife came back from shopping and said he was lonely and bored and she apologized for him!)

 campsite 16

 

 

neighbors

 

 view from the windshield

I had dyed up a bunch of yarn in skeins.. and needed to wind them up into balls to knit socks…   they were almost dry at home, so I took them along!

drying yarn

 

I got all set up on the picnic table.. in the spring sunshine.   What a lovely week of winding, knitting and just doing what I darn well felt like doing!  Of course I had the dogs along too, so we went for walks around and enjoyed the park.

outdoor yarn station

outdoor yarn station 2sock stash enhancement

 

Once I had all the yarns wound into balls, now it was time to start cranking socks.   I hauled out my sock machine and sat in the sunshine … what a pleasant way to spend a mini-vacation!

in the sunshine

I got a whole bunch of socks done… most of which are long gone and sold by now

 done sockswisconsin wool socks assortment

 

It was mostly quiet all week, with a few fishermen started rolling in for the weekend.  There was going to be a big walleye tournament on Saturday  and Sunday, so the campers and boats started rolling in about Friday.   The park was about half full. 

On Saturday, a group of nearby fishing guys invited me over for a fish fry!   I brought a dessert that I thought would be appreciated (it was!)  and enjoyed fresh caught fish.  What a nice treat!   By Monday the campground cleared out and it was all quiet again.

I stayed for two more days, but then heavy duty storm warnings were issued so I tore down camp and headed home.  My darling hubby was due home the next day anyhow, so it was time to get back to the house and pick up my messes and get ready for his homecoming!

2 comments:

  1. The "camp host gent" must have been at some of the RV parks we've been to. Seems familiar. :) Sometimes when I'm standing in back of our rig with my walkie talkie guiding Bruce into our space, some nosey-nooker comes over to "give me a hand". I try to be polite and give them the brush off. Most of the time it works.

    I always enjoying learning about the campgrounds you have visited. Great stuff, and good to know the larger rigs will fit in most of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so peaceful (and productive)! I can't wait for fulltiming either .....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! I moderate all comments so it may take a little while for your comment to appear.